Kanchi Kohli is a researcher, writer, and campaigner working on environment, forest and biodiversity governance in India and their interface with trade and industrialization. Her work seeks to draw empirical evidence from sites of conflict and locates it within the legal and policy processes. Kanchi’s work emphasizes the need for both research and advocacy as essential to highlight aspects of regulatory design and how it influences ultimate outcomes related to livelihood and ecological security. She has individually and in teams authored several publications, papers and popular articles on the above-mentioned subjects.In her current profile, she seeks to work with the strength of different national and international networks/organizations as well as several grassroots groups, in her independent capacity.
Namati’s Environmental Justice Program, India, works in collaboration with the Centre for Policy Research.
Selected Media and Publications:
- “Industrial units, other projects operating without environmental clearances to be legalised?” (with Manju Menon) Counterview, March 27, 2017
- “Environment Ministry to Bend Over Backwards to Whitelist Illicit Projects” (with Manju Menon). The Wire, March 22, 2017
- “Andhra Pradesh wants to dilute the Central land acquisition law – and that could harm farmers“. Scroll, January 30, 2017.
- “Assessed, approved but scant attention to compliance (with Manju Menon) The Hindu, December 27, 2016.
- “The Environment Ministry Must Take Citizens on Board Before Changing CRZ Rules” (with Manju Menon). The Hindustan Times. July 02, 2016.
- “Letting Them Off Easy” (with Manju Menon). The Hindu. June 20, 2016.
- “Mining is in the Way of Adivasi Forest Rights, Not the Other Way Round.” The Wire. June 07, 2016.
- “How Non-compliance is Condoned.” India Together. March 30, 2016.
- “Condoning Illegalities on the Kutch Coast” (with Manju Menon and Bharat Patel). The Hindu. March 08, 2016.
- “Burying the Law to Make Way for a Coal Mine” (with Alok Shukla). The Wire. February 19, 2016.
- “Moving ‘Forward’ in the Old Direction: Environmental Regulation in India” (with Manju Menon). Economic & Political Weekly. December 12, 2015.
- “What Lies Behind Environmental Law Making” (with Manju Menon). The Wire. November 18, 2015.
- “The new MoEFCC bill is all too quick to monetise environmental impacts caused by mining, port and other industrial projects” (with Manju Menon). Counterview. November 20, 2015.
- “Growing forests in the air” (with Manju Menon) The Hindu. October 26, 2015.
- “Legal imprints.” Frontline. July 24, 2015.
- “Ignoring the institutions that can save our coastal regions” (with Manju Menon and Meenakshi Kapoor). India Together. April 13, 2015.
- “How Karnataka’s mega port project is bending the rules.” India Together. March 27, 2015.
- “A strange proposal to build Karnataka’s largest port raises serious (and awkward) questions” (with Manju Menon). The Scroll. March 22, 2015.
- “When People are Merely roadblocks.” India Together. February 06, 2015.
- Groundtruthing: A Note on Methodology
An overview of Groundtruthing – a methodology for comparing facts stated in official documents and maps with the ground realities at a site or in a place…More »