Namati is dedicated to placing the power of law in the hands of people.
For billions of people around the world, the law is broken. It’s an abstraction—or worse, a threat—but not something they can use to exercise their basic rights.
Namati advances social and environmental justice by building a movement of people to know, use, and shape the law.
Namati works in partnership with community paralegals — sometimes known as “grassroots advocates” or “barefoot lawyers” — in six countries. The paralegals support their communities to protect common lands, enforce environmental law, and secure basic rights to healthcare and citizenship. Together with the communities we serve, we strive to translate the lessons from this grassroots experience into positive, large-scale changes to laws and systems.
Globally, Namati convenes the Legal Empowerment Network, more than 2,400 groups from 160 countries who are learning from one another and collaborating on common challenges. This community successfully advocated for the incorporation of justice into the United Nations’ 2030 Sustainable Development Goals.
As we move into our next phase, we’re growing our global team of passionate, results-oriented, big-hearted advocates, united by a common mission and a strong culture:
- Our mission is our North Star. It’s why we all wake up every day. We pour our hearts into this work.
- We’re innovators and changemakers. We are a young, energetic social enterprise and we know that our work is urgent. We believe in being nimble and doing what works.
- Our work makes real, tangible, measurable progress in people’s lives. We take abstract concepts – rule of law and human rights – and make them concrete, helping people find solutions that improve their lives every day.
- We walk our talk. Our movement is about legal empowerment and we bring this spirit of empowerment and collaboration to all our partnerships. We hold humility as a core value: we lead when necessary and follow when necessary.
- We are a truly global organization. Our offices are located in Delhi, Freetown, Maputo, Nairobi, Washington DC, and Yangon, and our staff come from all corners of the world. We are united by our common mission.
- We see our people as our most valuable resource. We bring on individuals of the highest caliber and character and we mentor, train, and support our staff.
- We hold one another in the highest esteem. Our work relationships are built on deep abiding respect and love.
For more about what it’s like to work at Namati, please see our Cultural Principles.